Manitoba’s future depends on quality, affordable, public childcare.
We will be rallying outside the office of the Minister of Families to demand support for public childcare.
Co-hosted by Childcare is Essential (CIE), this event is urging for quality, affordable, public childcare. In the wake of proposed amendments to the Manitoba Child Care Act, we are urging the provincial government to support childcare. If we want safe progress and a COVID recovery that puts people first, we must institute access for childcare for everyone. Parents should not have to decide between their child's safety and returning to work. Join us in urging for quality, affordable, public childcare!
CIE is bringing attention to our 5 Red Flags about the proposed Child Care Act Amendments:
- Proposed amendments remove the cap on childcare fees. This could more than double costs for families
- The Province wants to save money on licensing by making it less rigorous. Relaxing the licensing process puts kids at risk
- Childcare Centres need increased government funding, especially in the face of Covid-19. Without additional government funding for public programs, centres will close
- The government operating grant for Enhanced Nursery Schools is on the chopping block. These cuts will result in closures affecting thousands of families
- The proposed amendments will make it even more difficult to access a childcare space for a child with inclusion support needs
CIE is calling for an immediate stop to the proposed Child Care Act amendments as well as actions to maintain and build towards a fully accessible, publicly-funded, non-profit system of comprehensive and high-quality childcare throughout the province. This includes worthy wages and good working conditions for childcare staff who are currently leaving the sector in large numbers due to an affordability crisis.
Brenda Still MA, ECE III is a program supervisor at K.I.D.S. Inc.
Jon Bitton, Public Childcare Director
Jenn Collette, Non-Profit Childcare Board Chairperson
COVID safety precautions will be in affect. Social distancing measures, masks, and hand sanitizer will be required for attendees. Masks and sanitizer to be provided, if needed.
Please bring signs, water, snacks, etc.
For sign inspiration, see:
For further information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
1840 Grant Ave
Winnipeg, MB R3N 0N4
Google map and directions